When we get enough sleep our bodies are able to function properly. Sleep allows us to stay alert and pay better attention to detail, reason better, and be better at managing our mood.
In our current world we tend to glorify business, over-booking ourselves and exhaustion… why? Why do we feel so good about long days and sleepless nights…and why do we feel lazy when we rest? One thing that I have learned in the last few years is that there is strength and beauty in taking care of yourself. A big part of building a healthy lifestyle is getting enough rest – our body, mind, and soul benefit greatly from enough sleep.
The benefits of sleep are many!
Sleep effects every tissue in our bodies and plays a role in our energy levels, hormonal balance, and intellectual function as well as how we feel and look overall. Stress hormones, immune function, appetite, weight, mood, blood pressure and cardiovascular health are all effected by sleep, not to mention it just feels crappy when we don’t get enough!
How much should I get?
Every individual is different, but as a guideline, it is recommended that adults get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Young children should get 10 hours and teens should shoot for 9.
Tips for better sleep…
- Try to go to bed around the same time every night. This helps your mind and body get into a routine.
- Keep your sleep space dark and quiet.
- Exercise daily, but be sure to be done exercising (yoga aside) 2 hours before you plan to go to bed.
- Limit all electronics at least an hour before bedtime.
- Avoid excessive caffeine (especially after 12 pm), alcohol and nicotine.
Making some small changes to your routine can help improve the quality and the amount of sleep you get each night, so find something that helps you and sleep tight!
What do you do to support your sleep? Share your tips in the comments.